20 Dec 2022
Destin and Fort Walton Beach, Florida is known for white sandy beaches and beautiful teal waters in the Northwest part of the panhandle of the sunshine state! Naturally most tourists travel to the Emerald Coast during Spring and Summer looking for sunny destinations to cool off from the heat of the season. In recent years, many guests have discoverd the area to be alluring as well during Fall and Winter.
Destin West Beach and Bay Resort is ideal to travelers during the off season as it is located on Okaloosa Island in between Destin and Fort Walton Beach. Both Destin and Fort Walton Beach are equally as attractive to visit with amazing locally owned restaraunts, shopping, entertainment and activiites however during the season the traffic between the two is too much. Fall and Winter along the Emerald Coast offers many festivals, holiday events, live entertainment that you will want to experience while you're visiting!
Since the 1970s, winter guests have made Nortwest Florida their home during colder months to escape their cold temperatures up North. We welcome these short term residents to help carry the local tourism economy between seasons as well as add some joy to our empty streets during the off-season. Many families have also planned vacations around fall breaks, sporting events and holiday travel bringing more community events and things to do for kids both indoors and out. Here is a list we have compiled on what to do when it's cold along the Emerald Coast.
- Destin West Private Beach - Destin West Beach & Bay Resort property owners and guests have exclusice rights to the resort's private beach on the Gulf of Mexico. During the season there are chair services as well as watersports activities available. Even when the water temperature is too cool for swimming, the beach is great to visit all day for beachwalks, beachcombing for seashells and the most exquistes sunsets. After hitting the beach, be sure to take a dip in one of the several heated pools and hot tubs on site at Destin West perfect for year-round vacations.
- Air Force Armament Museum - 100 Museum Dr, Eglin AFB, FL This Museum is both indoors and outdoors so definitely bring your coat to walk around the large aircrafts that are outdoors.
- Destin History & Fishing Museum - 108 Stahlman Avenue, Destin, FL 32541. Catch up on local history and fish-tales at this local attraction in West Destin.
- Emerald Coast Science Center - 31 SW Memorial Parkway, Fort Walton Beach, FL 32548. Explore the 30 years + museum with over 45 exhibits within 8,000 square feet of indoor space and 2 acres of property including robotics, live animals, sciPad featruing SMALLab Learning, and so much more.
- The Gulfarium - Gulfarium Marine Adventure Park is dedicated to educating, entertaining, and inspiring our guests to respect and preserve wildlife by providing unique and memorable experiences for visitors of all ages to connect with marine life since 1955.
- Hurricane Lanes - 34876 Emerald Coast Pkwy. Destin, FL 32541 2 Family entertainment center with 26 Brunswick-powered bowling lanes, an action-packed arcade featuring 6 pool tables, air hockey and games.
- Wild Willys Adventure Zone - 1306 Miracle Strip Pkwy, SE Fort Walton Beach, FL 32548 Check out go carts, VR games, full arcade, mini golf and 4d theatre
- Urban Air Amusement Park - 14081 Emerald Coast Pkwy, Destin, FL 32541 Destin's indoor trampoline and amusement park!